Tuesday 17 May 2011

Issues of Photography and Morality


I have always liked to think of myself as a moral person. Conscious of conflict and active in boycotting big brands. Yesterday I did a photography job that went against every fibre of my being. I worked for McDonalds. Well not exactly Mcdonalds, a PR company that represents Mcdonalds. There are many ways to justify this action, it was a subcontracted job, a desperate friend pleaded with me to do it at the last minute, not to mention the pay was incredibly good. None of these excuses really make the grade though, do they? The whole thing is made worse by the fact that I actually enjoyed myself the people were charming and funny and it was extremely easy to get the material.
I have tried to convince myself that it's okay and you have to do things you don't agree with to get to a place where you can do the things that do make you happy. It is safe to say that most commercial photographers aren't passionate about commercial photography, but use it to finance there personal projects, but surely there's a line, you can always say no, right? After yesterday, I feel I've crossed that line and can't help but think that it could be the kind of job that could come around in later years and bite me, but it could make my career, highly unlikely but you never know, and what kind of career would it make? Have I been caught in the vice like grip of the corporate world? Well, we'll see when they call me for the next job. Will I regain my moral standing or set it aside once again for money and recognition?

www.paulmurphy.com
www.mcdonalds.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment