Friday 25 February 2011

The Unfortunate Lady Gaga Phenomenon


It is an unfortunate fact that the vast majority of the younger generation today look toward this strange and in my opinion shallow woman as a role model . I can only imagine that it is her eccentric and (ahem) ridiculous outfits that have drawn these fans in there masses to worship the Gaga brand the world over because it can't be her music. Perhaps it is this whirlwind hysteria that has inspired Polaroid, a long standing household name and staple of my family albums, to recruit her as Creative Director for their company.   I can understand that since Polaroid Corporation filed for bankruptcy in 2001 it was a necessity for Polaroid to revamp their product and also to ‘get with the times’ in terms of the digital conversion.  However using a woman who is supposedly a musician but in reality is just a highly polished manikin shaped on the concepts of other people’s ideas doesn’t sit well with me and I imagine most people who remember Polaroid as a brand that helped to create fun, carefree spur of the moment pictures. The idea that Gaga is now the ‘face’ of Polaroid, to me, sends out completely wrong message to my knowledge she never leaves the house unless she has in a usually ridiculous costume and her performances are constructed down to a T. Surely this is in fact a complete opposite to all the things that an instant snapshot is meant to be. It surely leaves a bitter taste in my mouth but then I would never buy the new camera sunglasses so perhaps the fond memories I hold of Polaroid are a thing of the past like so many seemingly out of date photography mediums and it is I who needs to ‘get with times’.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/1648132/impossible-relaunches-polaroid-instant-films-speculations-update 

No comments:

Post a Comment